Monday, 5 September 2011

Thing 7

Face-to-face networks and professional organisations

The only professional organisation that I am currently a member of is CILIP; I joined a few months after starting the MA. I joined as I could see that it would be useful for professional development, and also to keep up to date with relevant news and information. I started off as a member of two special interest groups, then increased this to four – there were so many potentially interesting groups to choose from! However, I think I’ll eventually reduce this to two again, as they vary in terms of value for money and what they offer/provide.

I have to admit that my actual involvement in CILIP matters/activities and so on, has been limited. I planned to get more involved after the MA, when I would have no essay/dissertation deadlines, and I was settled in a job. I keep putting off further involvement, mainly because I’m currently looking for a job, and as such I don’t know where I’ll be living/working. Once I’m more settled, I hope to have the opportunity to join a group/branch/committee.  I feel that this would enable me to connect to the wider profession, and also develop my skills. Many of the CILIP training courses/conferences have appealed to me in the past, but I’m a little wary of the cost.  I did, however, attend the (CILIP) Career Development Group’s 2010 New Professionals Conference, and I’m really glad that I did. The event was held at Sheffield University – where I was studying at the time – and I was lucky enough to gain a funded place. I helped out during the day, directing delegates, assisting with registration and a workshop etc. I also had the opportunity to attend some of the presentations. The day was inspiring, informative, and it also provided a good opportunity to network. After this experience, I do hope to attend more conferences and events in the future.
I’m not sure if being a member of CILIP has affected my career to any great extent. I think it is too early to tell as, aside from having completed the MA, I’ve not really started my ‘professional’ career. However, I am keen to embark on the CILIP Chartership process once I have gained some experience in a professional role. Obviously when I get to this stage, being a member of CILIP will be of great value. With this in mind, I will continue to be a member of CILIP for the foreseeable future.
I did join the more informal LISNPN (LIS New Professionals Network). I do find the forums/resources etc very interesting/informative, but I've yet to attend a face-to-face event. I suppose one reason for my reluctance to attend events, CILIP or otherwise, is due to living in a (northern) town, and I always have to travel to or via another city, which takes longer and is more expensive. Having said this, I know I should probably make more of an effort to attend face-to-face events, and I'll start to pay more attention to what is going on. I may also join some of the other, more sector specific organisations, as my career progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment